Dr. Nadia von Benzon, PhD, Lecturer at Lancaster University, discusses the ethics of using Facebook groups to collect qualitative data, including research design, confidentiality of researcher and participant, moderating an asynchronous space, generating content, and facilitating a supportive research community.
- Product: SAGE Research Methods Video: Research Ethics and Integrity
- Type of Content: Case Study
- Title: The Ethics of Using Facebook Groups to Collect Qualitative Data
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2022
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Sociology, Social Work, Communication and Media Studies, Anthropology
- Methods: Research ethics, Internet research, Qualitative data collection, Research design, Confidentiality, Sensitive topics, Participatory research, Reflexivity
- Duration: 00:17:41
- Keywords: anonymity, asynchronous communication, community building, confidentiality, ethical approval, ethics in human subjects research, Facebook, informed consent, internet research, monitoring, participatory research, privacy, qualitative data collection, qualitative research methods, recruitment, research design, research ethics, research questions, researcher reflexivity, researcher-subject relations, Sensitive topics, Social media, Storytelling
Academic:Online ISBN:9781529792324Copyright: ©SAGE Publications Ltd., 2022