Iulia Cioroianu, research fellow in Q-Step Center for Quantitative Social Sciences at the University of Exeter, discusses the use of topic models to study personal ideology and information exposure, including the purpose of this research, research methods to collect and analyze data, selection of topics, next steps for this research, unexpected challenges and how they were overcome, and recommendations for students looking to do similar research.
- Product: SAGE Research Methods Video: Data Science, Big Data Analytics, and Digital Methods
- Type of Content: Case Study
- Title: Studying Personal Ideology and Information Exposure Using Topic Models
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2019
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Business and Management, Communication and Media Studies, Political Science and International Relations, Social Policy and Public Policy, Computer Science
- Methods: Topic modelling, Computational modelling
- Duration: 00:18:17
- Keywords: accuracy, algorithms, classification, coding, computer programming, data sources: empirical data, ideology, information dissemination, multidisciplinary teams, political ideologies, political information processing, political science, programming and scripting languages, regression analysis, Social media, Social science research, Supervised classification
Academic: Iulia CioroianuOnline ISBN:9781526496546Copyright: (c) SAGE Publications Ltd., 2019