Dr. Federica Bono, PhD, assistant professor of human geography, Christopher Newport University, discusses situated ethical dilemmas encountered during research in Cuba, including the regulatory research context and the dual economy of Cuba, ethical dilemmas these create and examples of navigating them, and key takeaways for situated ethics.
- Product: Sage Research Methods Video: Research Ethics and Integrity
- Type of Content: Case Study
- Title: Illegal or Unethical: Situated Ethics in Cuba
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2022
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Economics, Social Policy and Public Policy, Social Work, Sociology, Political Science and International Relations, Geography
- Methods: Research ethics, Situational ethics, Participant observation, Positionality, Reflexivity, Gatekeepers, Safeguarding, Confidentiality, Outsider research, Risk assessment
- Duration: 00:20:28
Keywords: Cuba, ethical decision making, ethical dilemmas, fieldwork, gatekeepers, international research, legal and ethical issues, legal and illegal economies, local economy, local exchange and trading systems, participant observation, positionality, qualitative research, qualitative research approach, qualitative research methods, regulated activity, research ethics, research ethics committees, researcher-subject relations, risk analysis and assessment, Situational analysis, tourist industry
Academic:Online ISBN: 9781529608236Copyright: ©SAGE Publications Ltd., 2022