Valerie Steeves, PhD, professor, Criminology, University of Ottawa, discusses the Disconnection Project as an example of participatory research with young people, including research design, ethical approval, data collection and analysis, challenges faced, and lessons learned.
- Product: Sage Research Methods Video: Research Ethics and Integrity
- Type of Content: Case Study
- Title: Doing Participatory Research with Young People: The Disconnection Project
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2022
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Sociology, Social Work, Communication and Media Studies, Public Health, Psychology, Education, Anthropology
- Methods: Research ethics, Human subjects research ethics, Ethical approval, Data analysis skills, Youth-led research, Community-based research, Participatory action research, Undue influence, Thematic analysis, Anonymity
- Duration: 00:19:20
Keywords: anonymity, case study research, collaborative research, community building, community-based action research, confidentiality, data management, ethics in human subjects research, informed consent, LGBT issues, parental consent, participatory action research, partnerships, qualitative data analysis, qualitative data collection, recruitment, research design, research ethics, research ethics committees, Social media, thematic analysis, video research, vulnerable research subject population, youth, YouTube
Academic:Online ISBN: 9781529608229Copyright: ©SAGE Publications Ltd., 2022