Dr. Kendra Calhoun, PhD, U.C. President's Fellow, University of California–Los Angeles, discusses conducting digital ethnography on social media, including what can be studied, developing a research plan, selecting an online community, selecting aspects to study, and interacting with online community members.
- Product: SAGE Research Methods: Doing Research Online
- Type of Content: Tutorial
- Title: Conducting Digital Ethnography on Social Media
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2022
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Anthropology, Communication and Media Studies
- Methods: Virtual ethnography, Social media research
- Duration: 00:20:06
- Keywords: affordances, community involvement, data analysis, data collection systems, discourse analysis, ethical considerations, ethnographic research, Facebook, informed consent, interdisciplinary studies, internet research, lurking, participant observation, popular culture, positionality, qualitative research, Reddit, research design, Social media, Twitter, video methods, virtual communities, virtual environments
Academic:Online ISBN:9781529604566Copyright: ©SAGE Publications Ltd., 2022