Pew Research Center's Claudia Dean, Vice-President of Research, Aaron Smith, Associate Director, Patrick van Kessel, Senior Data Scientist, and Katerina Metsa, Associate Director–journalism research, discuss how traditional research and computation social science methods are used, including an overview of the Pew Research Center objectives, research methods commonly used and how it is changing, the use of multidisciplinary approaches, treating text as data, an example of current research, and why collaboration is important in research.
- Product: SAGE Research Methods Video: Data Science, Big Data Analytics, and Digital Methods
- Type of Content: In Practice
- Title: Balancing Traditional Research with Computational Social Science: Pew Research Center
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2019
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Anthropology, Business and Management, Criminology and Criminal Justice, Communication and Media Studies, Counseling and Psychotherapy, Economics, Education, Geography, Health, History, Marketing, Nursing, Political Science and International Relations, Psychology, Social Policy and Public Policy, Social Work, Sociology, Science, Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Medicine
- Methods: Computational social science, Big data analytics and tools
- Duration: 00:10:45
- Keywords: collaboration, computer science, data analysis, Facebook, interdisciplinary studies, large-scale research, media coverage, multidisciplinary teams, natural language processing, news media, pattern recognition, qualitative research methods, research methodology, Social media, Social network analysis, Social science research, Statistical methods and models, Survey research, text analysis
Pew Research CenterPeople
Speaker: Claudia Dean
Speaker: Aaron Smith
Speaker: Patrick van Kessel
Speaker: Katerina MetsaOnline ISBN:9781526499769Copyright: (c) SAGE Publications Ltd., 2019