Drawing on the authors’ thirty years of combined experience in the field, this authoritative, step-by-step guide to conducting focus groups features dedicated chapters on all aspects of the research process. Loaded with real world research examples from across the social sciences, and learning features such as ‘expert advice’ and ‘concepts and theories’ boxes, as well as and end of chapter exercises and further reading, this is the perfect manual for novice researchers who want to conduct a successful focus group.
Part I: WHAT IS A FOCUS GROUP?
Part II: PLANNING AND DESIGNING
- Designing a focus group research
- Mixing the focus group with other techniques
- Choosing and recruiting the focus group participants
- Designing focus group tools
Part III: CONDUCTING
Part IV: ANALYSING AND WRITING UP
- Transcribing and analysing the focus group content
- Analysing the focus group relational and technical dimensions
- Interpreting and reporting the focus group results
- Although the book is the result of joint reflection by the authors, sections 1.2, 1.3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 4.5, 12.1, 12.2 and Chapters 5, 6, 7, 8 can be attributed to Ivana Acocella, section 1.1, 1.4, 1.5, 3.5, 3.6, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 12.3 and Chapters 2, 9, 10, 11 can be attributed to Silvia Cataldi.