Rosaline Barbour draws on her extensive teaching experience to provide a clear, user-friendly introduction to the craft of doing qualitative research. Each chapter includes examples of real-life qualitative data and a range of exercises to help students get a feel for the process of generating and analysing qualitative data.
Chapter 7: Ethnography
This chapter aims to provide a flavour of ethnographic research through a vicarious apprenticeship involving targeted exercises.
- It will equip the reader to formulate research questions amenable to being addressed via an ethnographic approach.
- It will provide guidance on the designing of ethnographic studies, deciding what counts as data and how to optimize opportunities for accessing significant activities, events and settings.
- It will explore the use and contribution of ethnography in a range of disciplines (in terms of the questions asked and range of methods selected).
- The contribution of and challenges involved in the developing field of institutional ethnography will be discussed.
- It will outline the considerations that need to be taken into account with regard to negotiating access.
- Hints will be provided on developing templates for observation and ...