Rosaline Barbour draws on her extensive teaching experience to provide a clear, user-friendly introduction to the craft of doing qualitative research. Each chapter includes examples of real-life qualitative data and a range of exercises to help students get a feel for the process of generating and analysing qualitative data.
Chapter 1: The Scope and Contribution of Qualitative Research
The Scope and Contribution of Qualitative Research
- This chapter illustrates the range of questions that qualitative research can answer.
- It examines the role of the researcher and her/his dispositions in shaping the questions asked and the approach followed.
- It outlines the range of methods used by qualitative researchers and enables the reader to match particular methods with specific research questions.
- It provides an overview of the potential and challenges involved in more recent developments, including online and visual methods.
- It highlights several broad propositions that appear to be accepted by all qualitative approaches and which render it distinctive.
- It shows how qualitative research has been shaped by the disciplines and professional groups that have espoused it.
- It looks at how qualitative research is positioned in relation to policy, practice and ...