Focusing on applied conversation analysis (CA), this timely book offers practical insights and guidelines for CA scholars studying social interactions in institutional settings. Written in an accessible style and packed with case studies, examples, activities, and practical tips, the book takes readers through the entire process of planning and carrying out an applied CA research study. By highlighting challenges, debates, and important questions, each chapter provides the theoretical foundation necessary for making informed decisions at every stage of a research project. The book is divided into three sections (context and planning, doing a project using conversation analysis, and disseminating your research) to mirror the research process.
Engaging With the Ethics of Doing Research in Institutional Settings
In this chapter, you will learn how to:
- Recognize the relevance of ethical principles in applied conversation analysis research.
- Identify the various approaches to ethics.
- Evaluate the role of ethics boards/committees.
- Recognize the importance of staying safe when engaged in research.
- Discuss the unique ethical concerns related to qualitative research generally and applied conversation analysis specifically.
The focus of this chapter is to introduce you to the key principles of research ethics as well as to examine common ethical dilemmas that you are likely to encounter when doing applied conversation analysis (CA) research. Thus, in this chapter, we first provide a general overview of some of the critical considerations related to ethics in research and then discuss core ethical ...