Focusing on applied conversation analysis (CA), this timely book offers practical insights and guidelines for CA scholars studying social interactions in institutional settings. Written in an accessible style and packed with case studies, examples, activities, and practical tips, the book takes readers through the entire process of planning and carrying out an applied CA research study. By highlighting challenges, debates, and important questions, each chapter provides the theoretical foundation necessary for making informed decisions at every stage of a research project. The book is divided into three sections (context and planning, doing a project using conversation analysis, and disseminating your research) to mirror the research process.
Using Digital Tools to Support Applied Conversation Analysis Research
In this chapter, you will learn how to:
- Describe an (abbreviated) history of digital tools in qualitative research.
- Appreciate the digital changes that have impacted conversation analysis research.
- Recognize the value that audio recording brought to conversation analysis.
- Differentiate the benefits and limitations of audio- and video-recording devices.
- Evaluate the potential of digital tools for supporting transcription and data analysis.
Over the last few decades, there has been an explosion of digital technologies (Paulus, Lester, & Dempster, 2014), which has shaped how researchers conduct applied conversation analysis (CA) research. Indeed, new technologies have allowed researchers to generate important findings based on recording or capturing naturally occurring data, with new forms of data also being made possible. At the most basic ...